Friday, August 22, 2008

Week of Food Experiments. Experiment 1: Riisi

After Sampath moved to Helsinki for a Java project, I was all alone in the house. So I declared it as week of Food Experiments. We have been using Basmati rice during my stay at Jyvaskyla, I started my experiments by evaluating different kinds of rice varieties. By the way "Riisi" means Rice in finnish.

Materials Used: different varieties of rice.
Cooking method: Rinse the rice properly and soaked/boiled in appropriate amount of water as mentioned.
Heating Method: Gas stove.
Temperature: 200 degree C
Cooking time: 20 - 25 mins


Day 1.
I tried with Jasmine risi, thai fragrant rice. I don't know what went wrong but it was burnt at bottom but the top layer was little watery.

Day 2.
I tried with another variety of local brand "Pirkka", par boiled rice. The good thing is the bottom most layer was not burnt but the top layer was left un-cooked.

Day 3.
I tried this time with some fat rice variety and as u guess, even this was flop :(

Day 4.
Back to square, went to nearby shop got my Rainbow brand Basmati Rice!

Conclusion:
Rainbow basmati rice is the best one for my style of cooking :)

Have a nice weekend...
For me it is going to be experimental weekend :)

No comments: